Thursday, November 10, 2011

Power of a Praying Wife.

My husband and I are in a small group. We just started reading both, Power of a Praying Wife and Power of a Praying Husband by Stormie Omartian.  He is reading the one for husbands and I am of course, reading the one for wives.  I am so excited to see what God does in our lives through this, because I know that praying this way has great power. 

Ten years ago I read this book and prayed these prayers. Now, I have the kind of husband that will actually be willing to join a small group, read a Christian book and pray for me.  For the first part of our marriage, my husband would have said he was a Christian but, he was really lacking in the fruit department.  He was very much like Stormie’s husband was.  He was easily angered and could be insensitive toward the kids and me.  After reading the beginning of this book, I realized that as a wife, I was not helping him, but hurting our marriage, by fighting back.  Through this book God was able to show me my faults and show me how I could build our marriage up instead of tear it down.

I soon started to pray the prayers in this book for my husband.  At about the half way through the book, we were looking a new church.  We found the one the Lord wanted us to go to.  This church had a basketball league (we didn’t pick it because of the basketball).  The men who played were good, godly men who showed my husband that having a relationship with the Lord can be exciting and rewarding.  Now, this was all a set up by God, because within 6 months the kids and I were going to be baptized.  However, my husband thought that it was not necessary for him.  But, here is the set up, two days before the baptism we went to see The Passion of the Christ at the movies.  God used  this to show him what was missing in his life and he was baptized with us on Sunday.  You may have your own beliefs about baptism.  I don’t believe that you have to be baptized to be saved, I just believe that it is a public display of your faith which I think gives power to that faith.

So, here we are 10 years later, and I have a different husband than I married.  He is still the man I love, but now he is the man that I am joined together with in Christ.
I am going to share with you as I go through this book.  I will also let you know if my husband has any comments about his book as we go through them. 
I will have more tomorrow on the first chapter of the book.
Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment