Monday, November 7, 2011

French Toast Strata -Yummy!

For Breakfast this morning I made this yummy recipe I got from my sister-in-law.  She made it for us when we went to visit.  I won’t waste anymore time with details here it is.


French Toast Strata
(great for holidays, potluck brunches)
Bring to boil in small saucepan
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
IMG_0796


Pour into a 9" x 13" pan, tilting it to coat evenly.
 IMG_0798
My kids don’t care for nuts.  We skipped that part.
Sprinkle 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts on top then allow to cool.
Slice Challah or Brioche or Vienna or Sourdough (any crusty bread, we've tried them all) into 1 1/2" slices. Arrange bread in pan on top of syrup.
IMG_0799
Whisk together then pour over bread:
8 eggs (can use Egg Beaters)
1 1/2 cup milk
1 Tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
IMG_0797IMG_0800
Refrigerate covered overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 for 40 min. or until brown and puffy.
IMG_0801
Here it is this morning.  It was funny, it came out of the oven with a giant bubble on the top.  You can kind of see it here. So, I poked a hole into the top and it deflated by the time it was time to serve.  Everyone loved it.  I love when I can find a recipe that the whole family will eat.
Jeannie


1 comment: