Lydia was a woman we can read about in the New Testament, Acts 16:14-15. She was a businesswoman, the Bible says she was a dealer of purple cloth. So, a working woman, a successful businesswoman. Purple cloth was an expensive cloth because it was hard to come by the dye that colored the fabric, which was usually linen.
On the day that we are introduced to Lydia, her and her household were by a river outside the city gates on the Sabbath with other worshippers of God.
So, she worships God but is not a Jew, she is a Gentile. Then Paul and Silas come along and tell this gathering of women about Jesus.
The Bible says that “the Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message”. After that her and her household which would consist of her children and servants, there was not mention of a husband but that doesn’t mean he didn’t exist there was just no mention of him, were all baptized.
Once they were baptized she invited Paul and Silas into her home as they were travelers.
She was a working woman but the concern of her family and home are important to her. As in Proverbs 31:15, “She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls”, she is concerned with feeding her family Physically and Spiritually.
Setting priorities while doing anything in life are key. If the priorities of your heart are: God first, family second and everything else third. Then you are serving God and your family well.
I think the key to the story of Lydia that we can take away is that "the Lord opened her heart". With open hearts we can hear the will of God for our lives.
13 Bloggers, 13 topics, one Great God.
A series on the different aspects of Proverbs 31. Here is a list of the bloggers and their topics.
- Using Skills to Contribute to Family/2 better than 1
- The Fear of the Lord/ Satisfied by Love
- Using time wisely/Blessed Beyond Measure
- Taking care of needy/ Shadow Wonder
- Using money wisely/Jennifer Sikora
- Keeping an eye on home/Just a Glimpse
- She can laugh at the days ahead/ Faith Filled Food for Moms
- Clothed in strength and dignity/One thing I’ve Learned
- Taking care of others/ 2 savvy gals
- Being Creative/A Patchwork Mommy
- Bringing Variety to Family/ Karen Dawkins
- Extending your Hand to the Poor/ Women’s Fellowship House
- Organization/Teaching what is Good
Hope you all enjoy!! Feel free to explore the blogs. We have some very talented women participating.