Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

I am in the midst of making so much applesauce we will never eat it all.  But here it is.
IMG_0626
At this point it is getting ready to cook down into its chunky, yummy consistency
IMG_0628
Here is what I used this last time to cut and peel the apples.  For the first 24 jars I peeled and cut them all by hand.  Fun!  But then my lovely friend Stacey loaned me her magnificent device and it was oh so easy.  Kind of like when you deliver your first kid using no drugs and then the next one with drugs, it was a breeze.  It’s all about perspective!
So, I have 36 Quarts done and my great friend and partner in blogging just gave me two more boxes of apples.  So, you all can be sure that you will see many, many apple recipes in the months to come.
Oh, right here is my recipe for the homemade applesauce:
about 20 apples peeled and cut into slices or quarters
1 cup sugar
1Tablespoon of Cinnamon
1 cup water
Just throw it all in the pot and cook on Medium for about 30-45 min or until apples are really mushy and the sugar is even getting caramely looking.  Then leave the apples as is or use a potato masher on them.  While they are still very hot put them into the jars and seal with the lid.  You then water boil process them for 40 minutes in a canner.  Them take them out and listen for the popping of the lids sealing.  I love that sound, it is the sound of successful canning.

Jeannie

No comments:

Post a Comment