Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review of Cream Cheese Banana Pudding


My husband’s childhood comfort food is Banana Pudding.  Every time he visited his Grandparents there was banana pudding.  So, you know anything tied to grandma is going to stick with you.  After we married she still made it every time we came.  So, I started to make it for him on special occasions.  I would layer the vanilla wafers, vanilla pudding, bananas and cool whip. 

After about 15 years of making it this way my husband pointed out to me, that Grandma made the pudding with a meringue on top instead of the cool whip that I had used, for 15 years.  Ugh!  I don’t know why I never noticed.  So, I finally started to make it right. 
This year for his birthday I was planning on making his favorite when I ran across this delicious version of Banana pudding.  They had me at “Cream Cheese”.

IMG_1927

Do  I make it this new wonderful way and risk disappointing him?  Or do I make two?  Well you know that I made two, because as you all know 2 are better than 1.  He did like the cream cheese version also but he loved, loved, loved his grandma’s version.  She died just a few years ago and we really miss her.  It was like a piece of her was here for his b-day.

I found this recipe on one of my favorite recipe blogs
Country Mama Cooks she has great ideas.  She had hers in individual bowls which was very cute.  I just didn’t have the bowls.  So, I used our trifle bowl.

Below is Country Mama’s recipe:

Cream Cheese Banana Puddin' Ingredients
  • 8 oz container Cool Whip(thawed)
  • 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 3 oz cream cheese (softened)
  • 1 box Nilla wafers
  • 4-5 bananas
  • 5.1 oz package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
Cooking Directions
  1. With an electric mixer blend the sweetened condensed milk into the softened cream cheese.
  2. Then fold in 1/4 of the Cool Whip.
  3. Now make your pudding using 2 1/2 cups of milk and refrigerate for 30 min.
  4. In a large bowl or 6 individual serving dessert cups, layer vanilla wafers,pudding, bananas and cream cheese mixture.
  5. Repeat and put the rest of the Cool Whip on the top .
  6. Garnish with Nilla wafer crumbs and refrigerate until ready to serve.

IMG_1926

My review of this: this one was gone before the traditional one and I loved it.  My family loved it too.  I would suggest that you try it.  Enjoy! 
God Bless
Jeannie


No comments:

Post a Comment