Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Take up your weapons while you build!

I have been reading in Nehemiah lately.  It was one of those times when I was done with a Bible study and needed something to read.  So I said, “alright Lord what book of the Bible do you want me to read?”  I heard him say, "Nehemiah", which I have never read or even thought of.  So, I flipped there and started reading. 

 What a great book.  It is about a cupbearer for the King of the land that had taken them over.  He was a Hebrew and heard that the wall of Jerusalam needed rebuilt so he asked the King if he could go there to help them do that.  He must have had great favor from the King because he let him go. 

I won’t get into any more about the story but you have to read it, it has such great truths in there that we really need to look at for our world today.

The Big thing that I want to tell you of today is what I gained from Chapter 4.

As mothers we have so much to do in the process of serving as builders of our homes.  But we have an enemy that seeks to devour us.  If he can destroy the builder he can totally stop the building process and then he has won. 
In Nehemiah, as they were rebuilding the walls of the city, Nehemiah instructed the ones that brought in materials to carry the materials with one hand and with the other hand carry a weapon.  As for the builders they wore their sword by their sides as they worked. 

What does the Bible say that our Weapon is?  We are to use “the sword of the spirit which is the word of God” Ephesians 6:17.  If you read on a little from there it says “And pray in the Spirit in all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.”

If we aren’t armed with our weapon we can be attacked by Satan our enemy. I don’t mean carrying your Bible as your weapon.  I mean having God’s word in your heart from studying it.
If you would spend just 20-30 minutes a day with the Lord, reading His word and praying, then you are arming yourself with the most powerful weapon known to man.  Try reading Nehemiah.  It's in the Old Testament.
God Bless
Jeannie

2 comments:

  1. Certainly an under-appreciated book of the Bible. I've really gleaned a lot from the book of Nehemiah too! I did a post about a "Sanballat Moment" last year when God drew this great story to my attention.
    Blessings,
    Kristi
    http://homeschoolingandotheradventures.blogspot.com/2010/05/sanballat-moment.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post!
    A while ago a friend and I wrote a study with Nehemiah as the starting point.
    The sword and the trowel--
    Building and protecting.
    So good...
    Thank you for sharing with NOBH...
    ~Kara @ The Chuppies

    ReplyDelete